This is the well proven for its reliability and performance CG-1 Comb Generator. This instrument is a useful tool for those who do not own an expensive RF signal generator. It is a battey powered comb generator producng RF signals from 100KHz up to 1.5GHz. The emitted spectrum is full of 100KHz spaced signals (hence a comb). The output of this generator can be used to measure the response of RF filters, check the performance of analog or SDR receivers, adjust the S-meter of a transceiver and produce reference signals (signal standard) for use in the professional RF lab or Ham radio shack to conduct experiments. CG-1 is also used in EMC labs as a generator of calibrated signals (frequency/power reference standard).
The applications for a comb generator are too many to discuss in this description. To get an idea of how the CG-1 emited signals look like in frequency domain there is a snapshot of a portion of this spectrum in the pictures of the description.
This is a video of the instrument
User manual: CG-1 User manual v1.0
The comb generator produces thousands of harmonics between the selected (calibrated) frequencies. The signals falling close to the calibrated frequencies are most of the times quite similar in terms of amplitude level.
Here is a table with the selected frequencies for calibration, and corresponding power level for each one of them. Note that the power levels and frequencies are slightly different for each individual unit. This is why every unit is carefully measured and calibrated in our lab during production. A printed sticker is attached on each individual unit to show the power level for each calibrated signal.
Here is a typical calibration table. Of course, every unit has its own calibrated signals
Frequency (MHz), Power (dBm) Band that can be tested
1.900 -46.6 160m
3.600 -42.1 80m
7.100 -38.9 40m
10.001 -38.2 30m
14.101 -38.1 20m
18.001 -38.1 17m
21.201 -38.5 15m
24.801 -38.9 12m
28.401 -39.7 10m
51.003 -46.7 6m
90.005 -52.3 FM broadcast
125.906 -59.0 AIR band
144.907 -66.6 2m VHF
435.022 -83.9 70cm UHF
1295.967 -97.2 23cm
1420.373 -98.0 Hydrogen line (~1.44GHz is usually calibrated in latest units)
NOTE: Any cables, attenuator or other testing equipment shown in the photographs are not included with Comb Generator. For example, you may use your own Attenuators to attenuate the generator's signal down to say S1 or S2 (on S-meter).
- Battery operated unit. (9v battery on a battery holder for firm mounting)
- 50Ω RF Output
- Small, aluminum die cast box with reliable switch and quality SMA connector mounted on the box.
- RF shielded design to keep unwanted noise out and being able to produce very low power harmonic signals.
- Frequency range of harmonic content: Every 100KHz from 100KHz up to 1.42GHz (to cover all HF, VHF, UHF, SHF bands)
- Power level range for calibrated signals: Between -38dBm and -100dBm usually. (differs a little bit between each serialized unit)
- Power level accuracy within 1.5dBm (each generator has its own serialized calibration sticker with its measurements). Calibration is performed with the use of a lab calibrated 2cm rigit cable.
- Frequency stability: 20ppm crystal oscillator reference at 20MHz.
- Output signals are immune to supply voltage deviation due to battery draining.
- Being able to provide >100 hours of service with an alkaline 9v battery
You can read about the thoughts behind the development of this product in our blog.
Comb generator CG-1
- Product Code: CG-1
- Availability: 5
- Ex Tax: 81.00€